Friday, August 31, 2012

Every Other Friday - Gerri Brousseau Interview


Gerri was born and raised in Connecticut. She attended Central Connecticut State University where she majored in English Literature. As a young girl growing up in Waterbury, Gerri spent her summers writing stories and often times, together with neighboring girls her age, would present original plays for an audience of their parents. When she took a job that required her to commute four hours a day by train to and from work. After about a year and a half of reading at least a book a week, she decided to make the time work for her, when one night after a strange dream about a dream catcher, she was inspired to write her first book. 

A Pirate’s Ransom is her debut novel and was released August 22, 2012.
According to Legend will be released in November, 2012. 

Tell me about A Pirate's Ransom.

It's about despair-filled Lady Catherine, and it begins as she boards the ship for England, and toward marriage to man she’s never met—the Duke of Devonshire. But the sea is no place for a lady.  She’s captured by the Pirate Captain, Edmund Drake and held for ransom; a ransom that has nothing to do with coin. When she’s stolen from him, she becomes the pawn in a dangerous rivalry between two pirates—the handsome pirate Captain Edmund Drake and his notorious and fearsome opponent, Blackbeard. Which pirate will decide her fate? And who will pay... A Pirate’s Ransom?
What drove you to write A Pirate’s Ransom?
When I first came up with the idea of writing a pirate story, I wanted to have a heroine who was strong willed. The story takes place in the 1700’s and back then, women had very little say in the way their lives went. I felt compelled to write about a woman who, despite the situations she finds herself in, takes charge of her life. I wanted her to be strong and independent, yet feminine and vulnerable. I hope I have succeeded in creating such a heroine in Lady Catherine.  
Who did you write it for?
I first write for myself, because I love to write.  I enjoy telling stories. and I am told I have a knack for it. Secondly, I write to entertain and will hopefully develop a large fan base. I will always write for myself, but then, I will also write for them.
What were your biggest obstacles?
My biggest obstacle is the doubt monster. He sits on my shoulder and whispers in my ear, telling me what a horrible writer I am. But, what’s great about writing fast is that you don’t have time to doubt yourself. 
What are your productivity tips?
I write every day. A very wise friend (Peter) once told me you can’t edit a blank page. So, I write, and even if it’s crap, I can go back and fix it later. My advice is to keep writing and write FAST.  Don’t think – just write. Since taking Peter’s workshop, I have written A Pirate’s Ransom, which was released by Soul Mate Publishing in August, 2012 (www.soulmatepublishing.com), as well as a novella entitled, "To Kill a Monarch," which I have just submitted to them for publication. 



10 comments:

  1. I love the cover of your book, Gerri. I've also learned a lot of great tips about writing fast from our resident speedy writer Gonzales, Peter Andrews. It definitely helps to plow through and keep writing even if the words on the page aren't your best. The real work starts with revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PJ,
      Thanks for stopping by. I agree. Peter's workshop was great! Writing like Speedy is a lot better than plodding along, worrying about the placement of every comma. I go back and correct after I type "The End." No, it's not perfect by any means, but it gives me something to work with. Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Nice interview, Gerri. I read your book and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. Nothing thrills me more than hearing a reader loved my work. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Great interview and awesome book. I love the cover, so sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your book -- so glad you didn't let that doubt monster stop you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toni. I hope you love reading it as much as I loved writing it.

      Delete
  5. Great interview! I'll need to pick up the book now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. I hope you fall in love with Captain Drake ... I know I did.

      Delete
  6. Hi Marian,
    Thanks! I love, love, love my cover so much too. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. So happy you loved my book :)

    ReplyDelete